Saturday, July 17, 2010

Back Home

       Surgery is done!  
       The day began with going to the Women's Center (at the clinic) to have markers inserted into the tumors.  Well, I get there and they don't show me on the roster.  Luckily I had brought my paperwork from the surgeon showing that I was suppose to have an appointment with them.  Anyway, they were great and worked me right in since I needed to be at the hospital no later than 11 a.m.  The marker ended up being a wire that stuck out about 3-4 inches.  It looked pretty scary but it didn't hurt.  
       Next we headed over to the hospital.  Like most things in life it was hurry up and wait!  I got admitted after some controversy over the Women's Center using their code number.  After being admitted I was taken to Ambulatory Surgery, given the lovely lingerie to wear and an I.V.  From there they took me to Nuclear Medicine where I was given 2 shots of some concoction that lights up the cancer cell path.  These shots were given in the breast but weren't very painful at all.  Now sent back to surgery and have to wait 2 hours for the concoction to spread.
       I survived my 2 hour wait. I was then given something to make me woozy.  That was all it took, don't even remember going to the operating room.  First thing I remember was waking up in a room with my hubby and kids.  Spent one night in the hospital, then was home about noon the next day.
       Now the best part of this story.  As you might remember, I had chemo first to shrink the tumors.  It worked just as planned, the tumors were very small.  Next the nuclear concoction they put in me didn't spread to any of the lymphnodes only some tissue surrounding the tumors.  So the surgeon injected another type of concoction and it did the same thing!  Apparently that means no cancer in the lymphnodes!!!  They did remove a couple to send off and I will find on the 21st when I return to the doctor.  
       All in all the surgery was a great success as far as I can tell.  It is painful but I got to say it is better than chemo any day of the week!
       I really must give God all the glory.  So many prayers have been lifted up for me and I had a praying surgeon...how awesome is that!

0 comments: